Monday, January 2, 2012

Francesca is looking great!

I haven't been posting because a bad cold followed by the holidays kept me pretty busy.  And my son's fiance was visiting for a week--which was a wonderful time for us!  Many of my friends and family have asked when I'm going to post some new pictures.  So much has been done since the middle of December--at least, Francesca looks more and more like a real camper now!  I'll try to take this progress in some sort of order...



We left off with Francesca having most of her street side painted--everything except the top strip which is normally Scotty blue.  From there,  I installed her two larger windows on that side. 




Next, I prepped Francesca's tushy--sanded, washed, and wiped down with acetone--and painted.  I had some slight color problems here--no matter what I tried, this side came out more of a rose hue than the peachy color on her street side. The only difference might be that the back side is a silver where the street side was the white and blue Scotty colors.  Well, I got it as close as I could!  I finished it up by installing her back window.   


Wheel Well After
Wheel Well Before
TIn the meantime, my husband was busy making the final repairs of the biggest "boo-boo" on Francesca--her butchered wheel well.  All we were missing was the infamous "swoop"--turned out that it was just a shaped edge strip.  I got a piece of edge strip just the right size from Ben--another wonderful member of the National Serro Scotty Organization--and my husband did the shaping.  I don't think I could have done any of this rebuild without the people in this wonderful group and the Serro Scotty Camper Enthusiasts group!  Thank you to all of you!!  Doesn't it look beautiful??

I also tried painting the top part on the streetside a brown.  I was originally thinking of having it look like a terra cotta roof--painting the "roof pieces" over the brown.  It only took a few minutes for me to realize that this was NOT going to work so...I repainted the same color as the rest of Francesca, leaving just a small strip of brown.  Much better, don't you think?


To finish it all up, I installed the two small top windows.  Now, half of Francesca is completed--officially!  (Okay, as you can see, she's still missing her little cargo door, but that will be done very soon.)  I'm so happy with the way she's coming out so far!!  Now to finish the other half!  Just pray for a mild winter and she'll be all done in time for spring camping!

No comments:

Post a Comment