Thursday, August 11, 2011

Windows and Wheel Well

 Wednesday, August 10, 2011--

Ted was busy with the wheel well so I decided to start the long, tedious process of cleaning windows--yeah, I guess I do windows!

I tried this stuff called Never Dull--it's some cotton-type stuff in a can that has some cleaning agent on it.  You tear off a piece and wipe down the aluminum.  It worked okay, but there were alot of parts of the window frame that were pitted, etc.  I turned to Brillo Pads instead and they worked really well--you just have to rinse them off really good to get rid of all the tiny little shards of steel wool.  I took off the dried, torn up seals which I may have to look for.  And of course, there was LOTS of old putty tape to get off.  I got all the windows done except the large front and rear windows--gotta leave something for another day, right? 

Meanwhile, Ted took the piece of aluminum we got from the salvage yard and cut it to fit the wheel well.  Then he cut tabs into it that he can fold over the existing wheel well.  He fitted it over the wheel well and folded over the tabs--OMG, it looks like it's going to work!!!  He went to our friend, Rhonda, at the glass shop she works at.  She got him some of the rolled butyl tape that they use for sealing windshields.  He took that stuff and laid it on the top edge of the original wheel well so it will seal the tabs.  Then he put the new piece on.  The next step is to rivet each tab down...tomorrow!

I was online with our great NSSO group and Gail said she had the edge trim for the new, improved wheel well.  It's in the mail as of today--THANK YOU, GAIL!!!  I really don't know what I would have done without these groups and the wonderful people there--yeah, I would have been out of $1000 for a leaking, piece of crap camper!!  This would not be happening without them!

No comments:

Post a Comment