Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Who butchered the wheel well??


I finally involved Ted in my camper rebuilding--the wheel well was a real hack job!!  People on the NSSO and SSCE groups have said that it's the worst butcher job they've seen! Someone actually took a saw into the section and even cut off part of the metal wheel well!  This doesn't have to look back to the original, but it sure needs to be repaired!!

First, the lower skin had to come off...









Next, the plywood around the wheel well was cut out...measurements taken....








 
  ...drew out a template from the good side, and cut out a replacement piece of plywood.  It looks like it's gonna work!!

So now we're visiting hardware stores, salvage yards, and auto stores in search of all the stuff we need to finish up this job.  We made good progress so far, but it's just too hot to work outside--tomorrow will be cooler and we'll get back to it!! 

While Ted has been working on the wheel well fiasco, I've been finishing up my demolition of the inside--took out the two storage cabinets in front of the sofa to make room for a permanent bed.  Also took out the sheet vinyl flooring they had laying in the main area and the bad parts of the original flooring from under the sofa and inside the galley cabinet in preparation for my new flooring--to be revealed at a later date.

I've finally gotten to a point where I can actually sit back and visualize what I want my camper to look like when it's done.  There's been too much clutter--debris, tools, etc.--in the camper to even see what the possibilities could be.  I can't wait to start putting her back together!  I still have so much to buy for the rebuild.  I've priced almost everything and already purchased some of the things I need.  However, my biggest problem is finding the paneling.  I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for--even though I'm pretty open about it.  1/8" plywood is basically non-existent.  And just some plain old wood paneling doesn't seem to be much easier to find.   Once I find the paneling, I can start to rebuild her....

No comments:

Post a Comment