Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's a CONVERTIBLE!!!

Now that there's a short break in the hot and humid weather, I'm back working on my little Casa Toscana--FINALLY!!  I've marked where all the supports and skins lay and have removed the front bunk doors, all the dinette table hardware, the cabinet doors and most of the floor edging.  I finally got to pop the roof skin off--it was AWESOME!!  I spent one morning just sketching out the front, top and rear wood supports, measuring, marking, assigning numbers to each support, and making notes on everything.

What's amazing is that someone took this roof skin off in the past, but didn't put the effort into really fixing the problem correctly.  It was such a mess--some supports weren't even attached to anything!  It's so hard to get the skin off, I can't imagine not doing the job right once you get to the supports!

Today, I took all those wood supports off--taking pictures all along the way.  And as I removed sections of supports, I got to finally take out the rotten ceiling panels!  OMG, it was so amazing when the last panel hit the ground!!!  So now I now have a convertible camper with a great view and lots and lots of wonderful airflow!!!!  Hmmmm, should I keep it this way???

I guess it's quickly coming time to start my serious shopping--I guess paneling, wood for the support beams, and all my nails and screws are first on the list.  We're going to try using some oak for one or two of the supports so there will be less of a chance of future sagging.  And insulation of some sort--I'm leaning toward the Reflectix-type at this point.  While I'm gathering all that stuff, I still need to pull out soooo many staples that are still stuck in the wood. 


Will my Casa Toscana ever be the beautiful little camper I'm dreaming about?  I guess the real work is coming closer...

No comments:

Post a Comment