Thursday, July 14, 2011

A busy week!

I've been so busy working on my little Scotty that I haven't had the time or the energy to post.  So now I would like to catch up with all that's gone on this week...

Sunday July 10th--I spent the day just cleaning out the camper and checking out what to do.  I realized that most of the damage is on the left side in the rear.  There's more work to be done than I had originally planned on...

 Monday July 11th--I FINALLY got started actually working on her!!  Ted helped me take out the back window.  From there, I started taking off the side trim that holds the edges together.  First, heat up the putty tape and start getting the assorted fasteners out that hold the strips on.  Thanks to all the people on both Scotty groups, I found a couple of methods that I combined to remove the original nails.  Of course, people had added screws of different types and sizes and some nails.  What an assortment of tools I had around me!!  I got pretty good at this, though!  I got the lower rear skin undone and removed, exposing all the sheer terror underneath!  What have I gotten myself into?

With everything wide open and some serious rain coming in a day or two, we borrowed a carport from our Boy Scout troop.  It's not the most secure thing right now, but hopefully we can work on that before the rain.

Tuesday July 12th--exactly one month since I brought my little Scotty camper home and the temps were heading up to 100 degrees.  I realized the camper and the carport in the front driveway may not be the best idea--not a very secure location for having tools, etc.; running up and down stairs with a bad foot for tools, etc.; and the city may have some issues with the whole thing being right out front.  I asked Ted if he thought the Scotty would fit through our gates and through the backyard to a better location.  So, we unwrapped the blue tarp off of her.  First major problem was that she would fit through the gates, but just.  If she tipped to one side or another, she would hit the fence.  So, Ted took off the gates and moved the hardware out of the way.  Then we had a stack of slate for a project sitting at a really bad spot--would have torn her side open like a can opener.  So, Ted moved the slate out of the way.  The drive through the yard was uneventful.  Ted got her all backed in to a nice level spot.  We had to partially take the carport apart and carry it in pieces into the backyard.  This was not easy.  I realized we couldn't lift this thing over the camper by ourselves so I put in a couple of calls for some backup.  Three more people helped with the moving of the carport.  She's got a wonderful spot in the yard, hidden from street view, with alot of shade and easy access to our basement workshop.  And my husband and I each lost 2 pounds sweating out in the heat!  Weightwatchers meeting, here I come!!

Wednesday July 13th, we just took it easy and caught up on some other stuff--like bringing food into the house!  The heat on Tuesday really took it out of us!!

Thursday July 14th--I found some really good prices on sealing materials like Proflex, putty tape and aluminum foil tape so I went ahead and ordered them.  I know that it's a while before I'll need them, but I feel good getting them ordered.

Now that my Scotty is in her new improved work area and the temps have dropped to around 80 degrees, I was ready to jump back into work.  My new best friend on the Scotty groups is Paul.  He's had good advice about working on these campers and I approach my work with his voice quietly guiding me in the background.  I'm starting in the back of the camper from the bottom up.  Now that the window is out, the metal strips are off and the lower skin is removed, I can start removing the rotten wood back there.

Well, it wasn't quite that easy.  First, I had to remove this metal flashing that was there--so many nails and screws!  And then there was a piece of wood--more nails and screws.  And after much fighting and more insulation foam that I care to see--have I said yet just how much I really hate insulation foam?--I kicked out the very thin, rotting back wall panel!!  I think the whole neighborhood heard me scream with delight!  Hey, it looks like all the other redos I've seen!  And although there is rotten wood back there, it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be--there is still hope!  Thanks Paul!

1 comment:

  1. I can't get over the amount of work you have done in such a short time. AND, your husband is a real trooper...my other half won't even come close to Louis. I'm impressed. And, I hate to say, your Tuscan dream looks a heck of a lot better than Louis and I just gave him some mild plastic surgery, ala Joan Rivers in the 80's, not a full blown makeover like you're doing. Wow, wow, wow!!

    ReplyDelete