Friday, October 7, 2011

Covered and framed!

Sept. 29, 2011--I took the one tight panel off and cut a new one just a little smaller--VOILA, it worked!  I made sure to leave a little tiny bit of a space between the two panels and everything worked out just fine!  Oh, Happy Days!  So, it was on to putting the rest of the framing on the outside...

Oct. 4, 2011--It was my first time using the Kreg Jig to actually put the frames together--I'm pretty good at this!  However, it turned out that I had not cut my short connecting pieces square because the circular saw was so heavy and unstable.  When I put the frame all together, Ted showed me that the frame wasn't square.  The frames did fit, though, and I think it will all work out okay.  Ted constructed a "table" to help me cut straighter, but I think it was too late--I was already too insecure with that stupid saw!  I got more than a little reluctant to saw again after my questionable techniques so I handed over the saw to Ted...In fact, he's now in charge of all sawing boards and all drilling--because it turns out that I'm not too good at drilling holes either. 

Oct. 6, 2011--We tackled the front supports, including the plate that holds and supports the dining table.  This time Ted messed up and picked a different piece of plywood than the original one I had kept.  He felt it wasn't big enough and that it was too thin at 1/2" vs 3/4" like the rest of the wood framing.  It turned out that I was right and the changes were successfully made. The table fit just right! 
We also got the wood supports up for the front running lights.  We got a lot accomplished today!  Also learned that I've gotten over my fear of ladders! She's starting to look like a real camper now!






Oct. 7, 2011--Attached the rear running lights supports this morning.  In the afternoon, we added the final cross supports for two spots on the roof--never too much support.  Spent some time cleaning up the inside a little--too much stuff got accumulated in there and so much dirt!!  Tomorrow, we start making the strips to fill the edge gaps--Three 1/4" plywood strips glued together and cut to fit between the supports along the edges.  These will give the skins something to be screwed into.  Can't wait to do this...

No comments:

Post a Comment